The latest from Ray Lytle

So I know I took a week off from posting any pics or writing anything. I needed a break to get a bunch of stuff done and I didnt want to write anything stupid about my situation until I knew 100 percent what I was planning on doing.
I bet you can guess some of the questions that have come my way in the last couple of weeks.
I will eventually get around to answering them but my best advice for those of you that need answers is to listen to the daily show on www.chubbyray.com Thats because as much as I say I am not gonna talk about stuff I always end up talking about stuff on the show. It is just sometimes easier to let my emotions flow in the moment than it is to write them down.

The bottom line is I AM HAPPY. I mean seriously people I pride myself on being a professional but I think as much as I tried my hardest to conceal my unhappiness in my last job I think most people could tell that it wasnt working out.
I dont want to get into all of it but to make a long story short.... I just think that Ray Lytle was a bad fit. Dont get me wrong, I wasnt the only one who thought that..... obviously.

What I mean is as I grow older I have become more interested in talking about real life. Real things, real issues and less interested in poop jokes and raw comedy.
I still like to be funny and I still feel funny but it comes from stories now instead of jokes. And it comes from situations now instead of jokes. It comes from a more current place instead of a canned formula.
The days of the mobile unit and good gay or racist jokes have just passed me by. I dont find them funny anymore. I dont hold it against anyone who does but I just think that my time is better spent talking about different things.
I think I have changed in my style as I have grown older and I think the audience has grown older too. I also think it is hard for me to relate to 18 year old guys who love to talk about how cool the latest Slipknot album is. I like the band but I dont know any of the guys names. I know longer care about reading the latest web pages on what new band members joined three days grace or who is on the latest ozzfest. I have just gotten to the point where I dont care.
I dont think that the people who made the decision to get rid of me did it from a personal standpoint I just think they were trying to find a show that would really entertain the 18- 30 year old new rock fan.... I hope they find one someday.

I just want to say that I thank all of you who continue to support me by checking out the internet show. I know now that I should have left town when I had the chance in 2005. I know now that I should have gotten out of Rock Radio in 2005 when I had the chance.
I think I have become a broadcaster who is better served either talking for a living on an AM station or doing a show on a station that plays a mix of classic and new or maybe just classic. I definitely know that just playing new Rock is not something I want to do.
I love the Bruce Springsteen, aerosmith, Rush, Bob Seger, Reo, yes, The Who, Nirvana, Pearl Jam and so many others more than I care about the band Apoctoliptica or whether or not that one band is happy that they are addicted to the girl going down on them or between the sheets. I mean what good does that song do other than make me uncomfortable around my child when it plays in the background. What the Hell ever happened to music with a message. If I want to listen to a guy who cant sing I would put on Rockin in the Free world by Neil Young and I would at least feel good about myself because he is making a point with his music. Maybe thats what I have become... a Neil Young. A guy who is still thought of as cool by some, weird by others, and some just dont care, but they all get the point he is trying to make.

CHECK OUT THE RAY LYTLE SHOW WEEKDAYS ON WWW.CHUBBYRAY.COM

Comments

Anonymous said…
Sounds like your just growing up man, that's all there is to it. Radio is a cool job because it's easy and you can sometimes live off of it but it hasn't been a truly creative outlet in a very long time and the number of people actually making a living off of it keeps getting smaller.

The jocks that are married with kids and continue to drag their poor families around the country from crap gig to crap gig really break my heart. Radio sucked enough for me as a single guy and I can't imagine having to move so often with a family, plus it's not like your making much money doing it either so it becomes a pretty selfish thing after a while.

Follow your heart but be open to something other than radio paying the bills from now on while you continue to express yourself the way you want to online. That's clearly the future (or present) for talk.

Good luck.

Popular posts from this blog