It all starts in about 15 minutes

The CUBS enter the post season TONIGHT.
For those that know me personally you know that with the exception of my wife and daughter and my radio show there is nothing in this world I am more passionate about than my beloved CHICAGO CUBS.
In my life we have gone to the post season a handful of times.

1984 A good team but it was put together with guys from other teams. Rick Sutcliffe was great and Ryne Sandberg was Godlike but the rest of the team took turns being streaky. A team destined to choke and they did when Leon Durham let a ball roll between his legs in San Diego. Cubs lose in 5 games

1989 My favorite team. It took everything that this team had just to get into the playoffs. rookies dwight smith and jerome walton were overmatched against the giants. Andre Dawson was nursing a sore knee and Greg Maddux had trouble getting Will Clark out. Despite Mark Grace hitting everything in sight the Cubs lost in San Francisco

1998 nine years since the last post season and the first year that baseball had a wild card one game playoff. CUbs beat the Giants thanks to Gary Gaetti and they went into the playoffs against the Braves tired and got spanked.

2003 What a year. Does anyone remember Randall Simon? It was a great team and had great pitching. Kenny Lofton and Doug Glanville both coming up big against the Braves and the Cubs won their first series. THen it was off to the NL Championship where for the first time in my life I actually felt My team was going to the WOrld Series. I was shocked when Florida came back and won games 6 and 7 after the Cubs took a 3-2 game lead in FLorida. I remember not being able to speak I was so upset. It took days to get over that loss. It is hard to recall even now.

2007 Thats Right last year. the Cubs had a good regular season but even I predicted a loss against the Dbacks. I had no idea they would get spanked like they did though.

2008 WHo knows? ALl I know is that I feel really good about this team. Aramis Ramirez is incredible and a clutch player. Soriano is a streaky player who if hot can put the team on his back. Derek Lee scares me. If he is Derek gap hitter Lee then we win the NL but if he is Derek 6-4-3 Lee the double play machine, then expect us to lose to the Dodgers in the divisional playoff. If he is hot and the pitching does what it should do then we might make it to the big series.
We play the Dodgers first though and I predict CUbs in 4 if they contain Manny and stay awway from walking batters. I predict LA in 5 if they dont.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog