THE SUPERBOWL IS SET

WHO WOULD HAVE THOUGHT? THE ARIZONA CARDINALS ARE GOING TO THE SUPERBOWL! AMAZING!Kurt Warner proved he is a hall of fame quarterback and solidified his place in history as a great by securing his third Superbowl start after leading the Cardinals over the Eagles.
My relationship with the Cardinals has always been interesting. I mean growing up in Gillespie meant on Sundays I would get the Cardinal games on CBS out of St Louis. Now Gillespie gets both St Louis and Springfield Channels so on NBC I would get different games including Bears games whenever AFC teams went into Chicago to play them. But most of the time my Cardinal viewing consisted of me complaining that I was forced to watch them instead of my Bears. So every week I would tune in hoping that St Louis didnt sell enough tickets and I would somehow see a Bears game but alas that was usually not the case. I would end up being forced to watch the Cardinals and They sucked and I didnt like them. However they started playing teams that I liked less than them. Teams like the Redskins and Eagles and Giants and even the Cowboys who I hated in the seventies. In fact I hated the Cowboys until I met my wife and she made that deal with me to root for the Cowboys in exchange for her cancelling her allegiance to the Houston Astros and becomming a Cubs fan.
I did. I hated the Cowboys and every year I would watch them play the Cardinals and the Cardinals would always come close but never win. They would play the Redskins and they would come close but never win. They dare i say reminded me of my favorite baseball team. I found myself rooting for Jim Hart and his wobbly ass quarteback style. I rooted for Terry Metcalf and his hustle, I rooted for Otis Anderson when he became the runningback who actually got positive yardage. I rooted for Roy Green when he was the original two way player. I actually started rooting for them and then.......they moved.
They went to Phoenix and Neil Lomax became Phoenix's problem. For some reason they were still in the NFC east and playing the teams I hated but since they werent from St Louis I didnt care for them as much.. But BOomer Esiasan played for them and had some late game winning drives that I hadd to watch and i became interested again.
Then Jake Plummer came in to quarterback the team. I loved Jake Plummer. I mean this was a guy that played quarterback in the style I loved. He moved around. he was accurate. He didnt take shit from anybody. He should have been a Bear but they didnt draft him. How could I not root for Plummer. Best thing about Jake was that he started leading the team to victories over the Redskins and eagles. He even beat the Cowboys in the playoffs which wasnt as cool since at that time I was a cowboys fan. I was officially a Cardinals fan then. I had the SUnday ticket and every Sunday Afternoon late game it was the Cardinals. With the realignment of the NFL and the creation of the four divisions they were guaranteed to play mostly late games and Plummer was my fantasy team QB. Then Jake left and went to Denver. I was no longer a fan. BUt then in the last few years KURT. Thats right Kurt Warner the guy who led the Rams when I was a huge Rams fan. I even rooted for the Giants when Kurt was their QB. There was no doubt about it I was hooked and I was a Cardinals fan and proud to admit it. I finally didnt have to hide my support of this team.
I own two shirts that have NFL teams on them. One is a Bears shirt and the other is the Arizona cardinals. I will be wearing that shirt two weeks from now while I watch the Cardinals come oh so close to beating the Steelers. But then again who knows,,,, they have proved that anything is possible.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog